Thursday, June 2, 2011

Using Configuration Manager Console search folders effectively

I had a problem with a Configuration Manager package today and wanted to make some changes to it.  Where I currently work, I'm part of a team that maintains around a 1000 packages, placed in many nested folders. 

After a few minutes of clicking, I finally found my package. There must be a faster way to find my package I thought and it turns out there is, by using a custom search folder that will show all the packages in a flat list.  

The trick is using "% " as the wildcard in the search parameters to show all packages.
  • Right click on the top level of packages and choose New Search Folder.
  • Scroll through the objects and select Package ID
  • Edit the search criteria and place a single percentage (%)
  • Ensure you click the search all sub folders checkbox
  • Name the search folder and press OK
Custom search folder properties

Now I can view all packages in a flat list, bypassing all the folders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License